Deakin University, Waurn Ponds Campus
DS Architects were engaged as Principal Consultant to design a new teaching precinct for the School of Education in Building IB/IC at the Waurn Ponds Campus.
The new precinct, designed in collaboration with Deakin University Arts and Education Department, accommodates over 350 students and 80 staff. Across 10 distinct learning spaces the new precinct provides:
- Collaborative Science and Math Laboratories
- Language Laboratory
- Arts Classrooms
- Collaborative Learning Spaces
- Music Room
- MAC Computer Lab
- 30% of the floor space is designed as informal student space, to support the School’s desire to create a new home base for the staff and students.
- Flexibility of teaching spaces is enhanced through the uses of motorised Skyfold Doors, which enable classrooms to be used either as 30 seat or dual teaching 60 seat classrooms at the push of a button.
- Staff accommodation including office, staff rooms, meeting rooms and informal spaces.
The building, constructed in the 1970s, is cross shaped in plan with central corridors down the middle of the 4 wings. To create the new precinct over 3 levels, the internal fit out, including all walls and building services, was demolished and the layout completely re imagined to locate the circulation to the outside of the floor plate allowing larger, more functional classrooms to be accommodated. To bring a sense of energy to the precinct, the formal learning spaces were located on the same level and in each leg of the cross, with student informal zones located in the crossing.
- Principal Consultant – ds architects
- Building Services Engineers – JBA Consulting Engineers
- Structural Engineers – Adams Consulting
- Building Surveyor – BSA Building Surveyors
- Access Consultant – Think Access
- Audio Visual Consultant – WSP
- Acoustic Consultant – WSP